Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Pregnancy Truths...Week 22


I did not feel like updating the chalkboard this week...why?...because the day I finally felt "cute" I ended up pulled over on the side of the highway puking all over myself.  Hence, the mirror picture (after a shower) of 22 weeks that I am SO glad is over!  

I feel that I have read a lot on pregnancy, and while I have a basic idea of what symptoms to expect, I don't feel like these readings have prepared me for how truly ugly some of them can be.  So, here it goes...a few pregnancy truths that I have learned thus far:

1.  Random Puking and Blood Pressure Drops
I'll start with the worst.  Morning sickness typically resides after the first trimester.  Mine has, but nobody warned me that certain things will make you puke well into the second trimester that are not related to morning sickness.

Example 1:  My morning started off great with some strawberry pancakes, juice, and a sense of energy. However; after starting my morning commute to work I realized about 10 minutes in that I was NOT feeling good.  I started to get hot and sweaty, my vision got blurry as I got dizzy, and before I knew it I was pulled over on the side of the freeway puking all over myself as I scrambled to get the door open.  A very nice gentlemen in a white SUV even stopped to make sure I was okay.  "Yes," I reassured him. "I'm just pregnant".

After teaching summer school for four hours in my now not-so-cute outfit I was able to go home and research what the heck was causing all of this.  Apparently, your blood pressure can drop suddenly causing the symptoms I experienced.  Awesome.  It happened in the bank too...it has really been a great week.

2.  It's REALLY hot!
I used to love the heat.  So much that I could be out in 90+ degrees and be completely comfortable.  Now, it's in the 80s and I feel like I am going to faint.  Cody refers to me as his personal radiator because my once always-cold body is now putting off heat like nobody's business.  Even better, stuffy rooms, showers, and other things can and have induced the puking episodes described in number one.

3.  I Can't Breathe!
I can't breathe...ever.  Lying down, standing up, sitting on the couch.  At least a few times a day I swear  I am so short of breath I wonder how I am even alive.  My doctor says this is normal.  Apparently your body pumps much more blood while your pregnant and circulation is much more difficult. 

4.  I've always been a side sleeper...until I got pregnant.
I have always found my back to be the most uncomfortable sleeping position.  However; the last couple of weeks the only position that seems to be comfortable IS on my back.  This is a no-no, and despite my special pillow (which I do love), I feel the urge to lay on my back each and every night.  It is a frustrating process and the tossing from side to side really gets annoying.

5.  Where's your bathroom?
I've stopped at random gas stations.  I know where each and every bathroom is in the stores I frequent.  I must go before I start grocery shopping.  I must go while Cody looks for things at Home Depot.  I have to leave my summer school kids working in the classroom while I RUN to the restroom.  The worst part is, you don't even really have to go that much.  But when you feel that sudden kick ON your bladder it doesn't matter how little you had to go before; finding a restroom is not an option!


I'll stop there.  Being pregnant has not been the most fun thing I've ever experienced, but the feeling of my little boy kicking and moving in my belly daily reminds me that it is so worth it, and I wouldn't change this for the world! I can't wait to have him here. Here's to praying for a bit easier of a 23rd week :)

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry, I'm sure that when you get to hold little Easton in your arms it will be all worth it...fingers crossed!!!

    ReplyDelete